Safe Disposal of Hazardous MaterialsInformation here has been taken directly from the websites of the recycling centers. Please follow the links and verify the information before heading to the Recycling Center. KHO is not responsible for inaccurate information. This page is for informational purposes only and to assist others in doing their part to help the environment.
The Harris County Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Facility is located in the northwest area of Harris County at the Harris County Multiuse Facility. WEDNESDAYS and every other SATURDAY. Please check website for details before driving out there.
Residents of Harris County who reside outside of the incorporated City of Houston limits may use the facility to properly dispose of hazardous items in their homes that they no longer want. City of Houston residents and other local non-Harris County residents can click here for information about other local collection programs.
- household cleaners
- yard/automobile products
- pool chemicals
- paint and paint related products
- items containing mercury, e.g., mercury thermometers, Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFLs), and fluorescent tubes)
- small and BBQ-size propane cylinders
Items NOT accepted:
- traditional recyclables (paper, cans, plastic)
- any items used for business purposes
- medical and biological waste
- explosives (including ammunition and firecrackers)
- compressed gas cylinders
- radioactive waste (including smoke detectors)
- household appliances such as washers, dryers, freezers, air conditioners
- heavy trash or household trash
The Environmental Service Center (ESC) was opened to make the disposal of household hazardous waste easier. Two locations are available to accept Household Hazardous Waste and other materials such as Batteries, Oil, Paint, Antifreeze and electronic waste at no additional charge to City of Houston residents.
- ESC – South – 11500 S. Post Oak Rd., Houston, TX 77035
- ESC – North – 5614 Neches St., Houston, TX 77026